Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Chuck Roast -- Pulled Beef Barbecue

Like I said in an earlier post, I did more than smoke Spam last weekend. I picked up a couple of nice chuck roasts for pulled beef barbecue. Sometimes I'll use the point of a brisket for pulled beef, but I like the taste and texture of chuck roasts a little better.

I picked up two nice chuck roasts at Sam's over the weekend....one obviously a little nicer than the other. Go ahead and trim the fat off the outside edges. There is more than enough internal fat to keep the roasts moist.


I like to use my brisket rub for pulled beef barbecue. I rub the roast very generously making sure to get the sides as well. I use yellow mustard before I rub them to help make the rub stick.

Pulled Beef Barbecue Rub:

  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 3 Tbsp paprika
  • 1 Tbsp garlic salt
  • 1/4 cup onion powder
  • 1 Tbsp ground cumin
  • 1 Tbsp oregano
  • 1 Tbsp cayenne pepper
  • 1 Tbsp cracked black pepper
  • 1 tsp kosher salt
I cooked the chuck roasts at about 225 (up to 250 at times) to an internal temperature of about 140 degrees. They'll look something like this at 140 degrees and it should take 3 to 5 hours depending on your cooking temp.

At 140 degrees I double wrap the chuck roasts and continue on the smoker at 225-250 to an internal temperature of 200 degrees. On a side note, I don't cook in foil very much. I don't necessarily have an aversion to it, I just seem to like my results without it. I do like to use it on the chuck roasts to collect the juices, though.

The chuck roasts are good and tender at this point. I immediately pour the juice off into a bowl and put it in the fridge. Make sure you let the meat rest like normal. I like to allow at least 20 minutes before I start pulling. If it's tender enough after resting you can just use two forks to shred it. It is kind of a pain and you can tell by the picture that I got tired of pulling and ended up cutting some of it with a knife. It was tender enough that I could cut it with the grain. It'll kinda fall apart when you reheat it. Once you have it pulled, take the juiced out of the fridge and scoop the congealed fat off the top. Add back enough of the juice to moisten up the meat good. You won't need all of it...you don't want it swimming in it. Here is the barbecue sauce that I like on pulled beef. This sauce is similar to a store bought sauce, but it's a lot less sweet with just enough kick to let you know you're eating it. I keep it around all the time for various things. I put just a light coating on the beef and have the sauce on the table to add more if needed.

Pulled Beef Barbecue Sauce:
  • 2 cups ketchup
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
  • 1/4 cup yellow mustard
  • 1/4 cup molasses
  • 1/4 cup light brown sugar
  • 1 Tbsp onion powder
  • 1 Tbsp garlic powder
  • 1 Tbsp cayenne pepper (more or less to taste)

This stuff is fantastic on cheap white buns for sammies. I had one for lunch today. It freezes well, too. Just vacuum seal in single or double serving and it'll keep for several months.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this stuff!

I tried a similar recipie with Worshteshire sauce in it (I really liked that) plus I only smoked it on the grill for an hour with a LOT of smoke... then finished it in a slow cooker/crock pot with a dash of liquid smoke.

Great blog!

Anonymous said...

I used this rub and did the roast in a Dutch oven for 8 hours, then used bottled sauce (Sweet Baby Ray's). It was perfect and so good. Thanks!

ginalovesdave said...

Found this page from a web search and I am sooo glad I did!!! This turned out AMAZING. I think I got a little over zealous in trimming fat from the inside of the roast as it turned out a little dry. I also finished it in the foil in the oven. It was absolutely DELICIOUS!!