Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Pork Chops with Weber's Sweet and Tangy Rub

I hardly ever buy commercial rubs or spice blends anymore, but as you've read, I do keep Lawry's around and use it mainly on pork. Mrs. Hog and I were walking through our local Wally World (Wal-Mart) last week and I noticed the Weber spices in the spice isle. I've been wanting to try some new stuff and decided on the Sweet and Tangy seasoning. I just did some pork chops directly on the grill. Be careful grilling over direct heat when you use a rub with a lot of sugar in it (like this one). What I do is sear both sides of the chop and then finish them up with indirect heat. The rub was pretty good, but seemed to be lacking something. I like the sweet/tangy mix alot, though. I have a very spicy rib rub that I use with a super sweet glaze that I really like. Anyway, I may try to make a rub similar to this one....I just have to figure out how I want to tweak it.

Mrs. Hog made a corn and broccoli salad that was delicious. I think she got this base recipe from one cookbook or another, but she doesn't remember which one. She makes this fairly regularly and no two are quite the same. Just use whatever you have in the fridge/pantry and it'll turn out great.

Corn and Broccoli Salad recipe:

  • a head of broccoli
  • small red onion
  • a cup of corn (fresh or frozen)
  • 1/3 cup of cheese
  • 1/4 cup bacon bits
  • dressing:
    • 1/2 cup mayo
    • 1/4 cup sugar
    • 1/4 cup red wine vinegar

Remember that all those amounts are approximate...use whatever you have. We've done a balsamic vinegar based (no mayo) dressing with this, also.

2 comments:

Th3Guns1ing3r said...

That's the way I do my chops, typically. Sear both sides then move them to indirect heat. A friend I haven't talked to in ages that lives in Arkansas makes/made a great sweet & tangy rub. He called it "Knarfle the Garthog" (I never asked, but can only assume he got the name from the SNL coneheads). I ran out of it awhile back. I need to email him if only to get him to send more!

Hogwild said...

Yea, you have to do it that way if you have a lot of sugar on the chop. It'll burn bad if you don't. If I don't have the sugar, though, I just cook it hot and fast on direct heat the whole time. I may need to fire up some chops again this weekend.....